Infertility is defined as a failure to conceive within a certain period of time after having unprotected sex.
A recent report of Nature by researchers has described the problem of infertility in Sub-Saharan Africa to be ” rampant in the Continent”. The researchers further emphasized that the problem of Infertility “was obscured by the region’s high fertility rates, which gave rise to a concern of overpopulation and high fertility that doesn’t clearly show infertility as a problem.
There are so many things which can cause infertility in men and women. Let’s start with infertility in women.
INFERTILITY IN WOMEN
Age can be a major factor in infertility in women,as a woman your chances of getting pregnant starts decreasing once you get to the age of 32.
- Alcohol : Most women love taking alcoholic drinks on daily basis,some say it helps to reduce stomach pains while some take it when they are menstruating believing that it reduces pain and facilitate easy blood flow. Too much intake of alcohol can reduce your chances of getting pregnant.
- Obesity : Overweight can as well reduce your chances and it is applicable to men and women.
- Smoking : It is very dangerous to be smoking when you are pregnant because you lose your pregnancy.This also affect fertility rate in men and women.
- Ovulation in women decreases when you are having mental stress.
- Sexually transmitted infection also affects fertility rate in women(fallopian tube damage).
- Ovulation not occurring functioning adequately because of polycystic ovary syndrome.
- The quality of the egg being poor, it is found in older women.
- Fibroids blocks or stops the the fertilization of the egg in the fallopian tube.
INFERTILITY IN MEN
When the sperm count of a man goes below 15 million, it is considered to be low and it simply means that you can not be able to get any woman pregnant.
- Inability of the sperm to swim is a problem because once it can’t get to the egg,there is no way fertilization will occur. One major cause of this is when the sperm is having an irregular or abnormal shape which affects its movement.
- Wearing of tight clothes also affect sperm production in testicles because of increase in temperature. As a man you should stay away from tight wears like under wear pants instead go for a boxer pant.
- Hormones : Hypogonadism causes deficiency of the testosterone.
- Radiations also leads to reduction in sperm production.
- Use of steroids
- excess alcohol consumption
- It has not been medically proven that fertility rate in men starts decreasing once they get to 40 years of age but there have been several records of men above 70 years of age still getting women pregnant.
- Some types of chemotherapy can also cause low sperm count.
- Hard drugs consumption
DRUGS THAT CAN CAUSE INFERTILITY
- Excess use of ibuprofen
- chemotherapy drugs
- Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (Gn-RH) analogs
- Human chorionic gonadotropin (Ovidrel, Pregnyl)
- Metformin (Glucophage)
- Human menopausal gonadotropin, or hMG (Repronex)
- Follicle-stimulating hormone (Gonal-F, Bravelle)
- Retrograde ejaculation
- Surgery for epididymal blockage
- Blockage of the ejaculatory duct